re:[IP] Are diabetics assumed to be mentally incompetent by medical workers?

>  I think docs just get in the habit of assuming you are stupid, some of their
>patients are.  They don't have time to treat you like a peer.  How can you
>be a
>peer, you didn't go to med school? :-)

Personally I think a lot of us should get honorary degrees, since we know
more than them.

>After a short period of time diabetics know their shit.   Doctors can help
>them
>but only if they are intelligent enough to listen to their patients, cause the
>patients know much more than the doc will ever know about how things work for
>them.

My internist does listen well to me.  It's just all the other idiots.  Just
last weekend I ended up going to the ER.  I brought my list of meds,
surgeries, and diagnosis ( keep it on a spreadsheet ).  The doctor wasn't
listening to anything I said about my problems let a lone my diabetes
care.  He pretended ( not very well ) to know what the pump
was.  ARG.  Anyway, so at the end he wants to give me this pill.  I said
"you know I was watching a commercial and I remember that this pill you
want me to take doesn't mix well with something else I am taking"  The
doctor starts getting upset, well what drugs are you on.  Mind you I feel
like shit and I had come in prepared.  Steve and I both told him this and
attempted to list off the drugs as the nurse tried to find my list.  So I
say propulsid.  Eeeh gads, the flood gates opened.  He got real mad.  What
are you still doing on that drug, blah blah, blah.  He then got mad and
said if I had taken the pill he wanted to me too that I could have died
from cardiac arrests.  Ya, and that's my fault.  Shit, if I hadn't watched
that commercial who know's what would have happened.  I mean damn, I go in
prepared as horrid as I felt and the doctors not only don't listen but
don't even look at the information you bring them.

>Some doctors are a waste of spit, some are worth their weight in glucose.

Very well said Curtis.

Fran