RE: [IP] Are diabetics assumed to be mentally incompetent by medical workers?

At 09:10 AM 7/30/00 David Dougherty wrote:
 >Curtis, I think you are absolutely right. Doctors know a lot about diabetes
 >in general but not about your diabetes in particular unless they spend time
 >listening to you and learning. Conversely, the only diabetes I know about is
 >my own. I know how to control it pretty darn well. I wouldn't know how to
 >control yours or anyone elses though.

I'd wager that most of us know a lot more than a lot of these so-called
medical professionals when it comes to the daily care of this disease. I
hate it when people look down their noses at you as if you were totally
ignorant and illiterate. They are just stroking their own egos, nothing
more. Just interrupt and ask them a few detailed questions about setting
basal rates and calculating boluses... ask about insulin/carb ratios... how
about a few pertinent questions about sets, sites and reservoirs. Duh! Bet
they won't have a clue as to what you're talking about. That'll also keep
them quiet about things the know nothing about. On a day-to-day basis we
all have to be our own doctors.