[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V4 #375

In a message dated 7/29/00 1:24:56 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

 Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 15:23:52 -0400 (EDT)
 From: email @ redacted (Redia Engle)
 Subject: [IP] Not sure
 I'm not a pumper yet, but am considering it. my Dr. has recommened it.I
 am checking everything out first. I've been taking insulin as i said
 before for 40 yrs. am 52 yrs. old now. for all that time i've taken my
 shots at the same time everyday, eaten at the same time everyday.
 sometimes it is like i'm in a trance every day same old thing, now my
 blood sugars are getting out of controle. I know nothing of the pump,
 but am willing to learn. Question--when you have a pump and are pumping
 insulin, does that mean you can sleep later some mornings or do you
 still need to take insulin on a regular scheduled time?What about meals
 can they be whenever you want to eat or on a schedule. See I'm not sure
 how all this works with the pump. please let me know.    thanks
You have been on such a rigid scheudle for so long it will take your mind
awhile to adjust as to just how flexible life can and will be with a
pump!!!!Just the continuous basal your pump is set at can,  YES you can sleep
in...it will cover your bs for you until you wake up..and if you only want an
apple for lunch..that is all you need to bolus for..no problem..your basal
again is there to cover for you..We jsut finished a vacation and I know the
new word of vacation and total freedom..munching whenever and bolusing to
cover worked great..within reason of course. Pumping is so much easier for
unscheduled meal times.and exercise..i just suspend my pump and then of
course check and check the bs afterwards..Have alot less low sugars due to
exercise which has been great..and hardly any nighttime lows!! Lots to learn
about pumping and everyone is different but it for me has been the way to go.