[IP] Questions

>>> One of the
biggest reasons you will see that people are frustrated with the general
public, insurance and drug companies is because of ignorance to the proper
info. They are the group of people who have a lack of education concerning
this disease. <snip> If we just get angry and not answer the genuinely
questions people ask then the longer we will have to do it. We all have to
learn by asking questions and even if someone makes a remark that is not
necessarily a nice one we must try to remember it is because of their
ignorance in understanding why and what is going on with you.  Even the
stupidest remarks can be handled in such a way from your wealth of knowledge
in having to deal with this on a daily basis that you can make one realize
how stupid they look without making yourself look just as stupid. >>>

I agree with the writer of the above. After all, look how many questions
newbies (and us oldies) ask on a daily basis through this list and we live
with this disease 24/7/365. If WE are still asking Q's, we have to expect
the general public to not know as much - and it is up to us to do the proper
informing.  Last Tuesday I went to a tiny town (pop. 1420) near Indianapolis
to give a speech about DM. A lady (82 y/o) told me she had diabetes since
she was 61, but it was mellitus because she was older. She also told me she
studied everything she could about it. After the speech (and I worked in
diabetes mellitus and diabetes insipidus) she said she really learned a lot
and would be finding a doctor who knew about DM and would take better care.
It was exciting to hear their Q's and the help I could give them even with a
253 mi. rnd trip drive!
Jan (61 y/o, T-1 11/5/50, pmpg 8/23/83) & Bluda Sue (MM507C, 3/99)