[IP] Re: Carbohydrate Factor?

Hi!  You had a question about the carbohydrate factors and carbohydrate
counting.  I hope I can explain it!  What I'll do is type in the bit of
information from the pamphlet my CDE gave me.  It's my pleasure!  Here goes:

Few foods, other than table sugar, are totally carbohydrate.  The
CARBOHYDRATE FACTOR for a food gives the amount of carbohydrate in 1 gram of
that food.  So to find out how much carbohydrate you are eating in a
particular food, you will need to work a simple calculation.

1.  First weigh the food on a gram scale.
2.  Then find the food and its CARBOHYDRATE FACTOR in one of the Food Groups
listed below.
3.  Multiply the food's weight in grams by its CARBOHYDRATE FACTOR.
4.  The answer is the number of grams of carbohydrate you are eating.

For example, let's say you place a small apple on a gram scale and find that
it weighs 100 grams.  You then look up its CARBOHYDRATE FACTOR and find that
it is .13 (that's the ratio of grams of carbohydrate to each gram of food).
You then simply multiply 100 grams by .13 to get the amount of carbohydrate
you will be eating: 100 grams of apple X .13 = 13 grams of carbohydrate.

Additional Information: CARBOHYDRATE FACTORS give the actual concentration of
carbohydrate in foods.  For instance, apples are 13% carbohydrate (most of
their weight is water), while raisins are 77% carbohydrate by weight, and
bagels contain 56% carbohydrate by weight.  Both apple juice and regular
sodas are 12% carbohydrate, although the carbohydrate in apple juice is
higher in fructose while a regular soda has more of its carbohydrate as
sucrose or sugar.
Cranberry juice is even richer in carbohydrate at 16 while grapefruit juice
contains only 9% by weight.  A 6 oz. glass of cranberry juice will contain
almost twice as much carbohydrate as a 6 oz. glass of grapefruit juice.
Because it contains more carbohydrate, the glass of cranberry juice can raise
the blood sugar nearly twice as far as the same amount of grapefruit juice.
It will also require more insulin to cover it.

I truly hope this helps!  I find it much easier to weigh my foods and use the
appropriate calculations to figure out the amount of carbohydrates in the
foods I'm eating.  It's not always the most convenient thing to do.  I always
have to stop and weigh my food before putting it on my plate and then do the
calculation to figure out the total carbs, then calulate how much insulin I
should bolus to cover the carbs I'm eating.   But it's worth it if it keeps
my blood sugars in better control!!  And please know that this information
was given to me by my CDE; I am only sharing it with others!

I would be willing to send you the  Food List with the CARBOHYDRATE FACTORS
if you are interested.

diagnosed 27 years ago at the age of three
pumping with minimed for 5.5 years