[IP] Diabetes and excuses

I agree with you 100%.  My son is the one in our family with diabetes and we
have never let him use that as an excuse to do (or not do) anything.  Even if
he was having a reaction (mostly in MDI days), we wouldn't use that to get
seated faster at a restaurant- we just got out some glucose tabs and dealt
with it.  Of course, he is also very shy and does not like to have attention
drawn to him.  He wears his pump like a pager and if anyone asks about it, he
just tells them it's a pump and that's usually the end of it.  The only
exceptions to this are that he is allowed to leave class to use the bathroom
or get a drink if he is high (also mostly in MDI days).