Re: [IP] Dematonecrobiosis Diabeticorum

In a message dated 7/26/00 5:49:56 PM Mountain Daylight Time, email @ redacted

<< Okay I don't know what that stands for, but I know
 > what it *is*.  I have a diabetic derma somethin
 > lesion on my shin.  Any of you been successful in
 > having them go away?  Mine started at about 1/2
 > cm^2, and is now 1"X 1.25" (sorry the ruler at my
 > desk is metric-free.)  My new endo seemed shocked
 > that my old dermatologist said nothing could be done
 > and stuck me with topical steroid creams.
 > My dad said that an ace inhibitor he was taking made
 > his go away (T I also.)  I am so sick of it and
 > people asking me how I hurt myself... that and the
 > pager questions/comments.
 > Help please.
To the person who wrote this..
  It is always a trial to have to repetitively answer the same questions and
comments. No one wants to have to do that. You have a disease that for now
you are living with for the rest of your life. I have found that most are
just genuinely concerned and yes some are just plain curious about the box
hanging at your side. However, the disease you are dealing with affects
thousands and the chances are pretty good that they already might know
someone other than you with diabetes or they will eventually have a family
member who comes down with it in their life time. The way you answer their
questions could make a difference at sometime in their life. One of the
biggest reasons you will see that people are frustrated with the general
public, insurance and drug companies is because of ignorance to the proper
info. They are the group of people who have a lack of education concerning
this disease. I try to help my daughter who has had type 1 for the last nine
years to be positive. If we just get angry and not answer the genuinely
questions people ask then the longer we will have to do it. We all have to
learn by asking questions and even if someone makes a remark that is not
necessarily a nice one we must try to remember it is because of their
ignorance in understanding why and what is going on with you.  Even the
stupidest remarks can be handled in such a way from your wealth of knowledge
in having to deal with this on a daily basis that you can make one realize
how stupid they look without making yourself look just as stupid. So please,
just think before you react because what have to say and how you say it could
make a difference.

mom to Jenna(dx'd in 1992)