[IP] Re: Kids, pumps and camp

Sadly, most smaller camps(and some larger ones..camp Joslin two years ago
comes to mind) really aren't equipped to handle insulin pumps. My solution
has been to volunteer as a counselor in a different group than the ones my
children have been assigned to. I've done some pump education with the staff
on an as needed basis. We also have student nurses who help and I sat with
the one assigned to my son and gave her a very good lesson in pumps.
Hopefully she takes what I've told her back with her and passes it along.  I
even told her that if she EVER works in an ER and a person with D comes in,
they should get permission to call their endos and follow the instructions
they're given and to NOT remove their insulin pumps, if they have one.

JDF would have very little say in a camp run by private sources.Ours is
United Way funded and the JDF and ADA have no say. They can voluntarily
follow the guidelines, but cannot be forced to. Our camp reserves the right
to turn children away for behavioral or safety issues.

Your friends should be greatful the nurse was honest enough to admit her
ignorance and not risk harming their child. If volunteering is an option,
they should in some capacity next year.They may allow the child to stay while
at the same time having what we call at our camp a 'teachable moment". I know
alot of people at our camp were very nervous about Chris' pump last year, but
this year they also had two other kids with pumps there. Part of this is just
fear of the unknown and sometimes allowing people to learn is the best route.

Hope this helps,

Mary DeMello
Chris 10 dx'd @4, pump 2 years
Angela 11 dx'd @ 9,
Jay 13, and Liz 15

In a message dated 07/21/2000 3:06:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,