[IP] Re: pump-for-sale issues

Recently Sherry warned, regarding someone offering to sell a MiniMed 508:

> It is illegal to sell prescription only products to anyone.
> Since pumps are a prescription only medical device, you could be
> criminally charged.  Just wanted to give a heads up on this.

True, true. Which brings up an interesting point. The CDEs at the diabetes
center I frequent tell me they've been getting folks walking in off the
street with pumps in hand, wanting the CDE team to help them set everything
up. Not a good idea, of course, but now I wonder how they got them in the
first place. Do the companies supply the devices without prescriptions? Or
do they supply the prescriptions as well? Either one seems a bit over the
line. I suppose it's more likely some nameless doctor wrote the
prescription, but wasn't able/willing to give more help.

Anyway, the team is considering doing a study of pumpers they've helped get
started, to find out how successful they were, and how that correlated with
their attitudes toward diabetes and pump management. They hope to set up
more effective criteria for deciding who should go on the pump. I know, it
should be available for anyone, but you and I _know_ there are some folks
who just shouldn't even start. My center generally insists they take their
advanced diabetes management class (an excellent one-week workshop), or the
equivalent, before they start a pump.

Keith Johnson
Fleischmann Planetarium, Reno
email @ redacted
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."