[IP] Re: Air Bubbles, part 437

Recently Marilyn (I _think_ it was, though with multiple quoting and HTML
tags appearing in the text, it's not always easy to tell who's doing which
:-)  posted this quote:

> I also, with the insulin bottle still attached and the needle UP, flick the
> reservoir several times with my index finger to dislodge any air.

This is where us wimps who use the SofSerter have an advantage. I whack the
reservoir with my SofSerter (the "harpoon") several times (hey, they're both
unbreakable plastic, right? Right?). This provides more of a shock than can
my poor finger, and doesn't hurt it, either. You brave souls who stick
yourselves by hand can probably use a magic marker or something. (a Martini
glass is probably a bad idea...).

> Finally, don=92t be overly concerned about tiny
> bubbles. One inch of air in the tubing equals one half of a unit of
> U-100 insulin, and it takes a lot of tiny bubbles to equal one inch.

OTOH: twice, before I started doing serious bubble management, I got bubbles
about 3/4 inch long (don't ask me how)('cause I don't know). Only 0.3 to 0.4
units, right? But if you run at only 0.2 u/hr during the day, as I do, that
means 1.5 to 2 hours without insulin! I remembered to pump one of those out
before it reached my cannula (thanks to the Quick Release connection), but
forgot the other one by the time it got close to the QR. Got high BGs as a
result, I think. I shoulda been willing to waste the insulin, I suppose, but
the stuff's expensive!

Keith Johnson
Fleischmann Planetarium, Reno
email @ redacted
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."