[IP] preventing site infections

Hello Pumpers!  I've just experience my first site infection since
starting pumping last September.  Yuck!  Searched the archives and found
all kinds of great advice.  Thx so much.  My husband suggested there
might be some preventive strategies to try when removing the sites.
Didn't see any mention of this.  Does anyone do anything special when
removing the previous site?  There is definitely an open wound where the
cannula was and I've never treated it with disinfectant or bandaids or
anything like that.  Think that may be the cause.  Any ideas for me?
Thx again for all your collective wisdom.  You've helped me so many
times-often without even knowing it.  You're really special people.
Sincerely,  email @ redacted