Re: [IP] Newbie Questions-Help!

In a message dated 7/26/00 8:18:11 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

Sounds like you're making good decisions on what to do. Yes, if you're
unsure, use a syringe to be sure the insulin gets in and change the site.
What did she eat for dinner?  A high fat content or lots of protein may
raise her bg later in the night.  Like pizza or a big steak.  A bag of
buttered popcorn with a movie after dinner produces these results for me.

Another possibility at 12 years old is fluctuating hormones, growth ones, or
her menstrual cycle.  Even if she hasn't started many moms have noticed the
cycle affecting bgs long before the actual first period.

As far as the tape, we each seem to have our own tricks that work for us.
Some people put a piece of IV3000 on skin, insert thru it, then the one with
the hole on top of that.  When I used soft-sets, I used IV prep (a mosit
towlette with antiseptic and a tacky substance), let it dry, inserted into
skin, and covered it with two criss-crossing pieces of IV3000 tape.

Now I am using Silhouettes, which if you haven't tried, try to get a couple
samples from the pump manufacturer, they are usually pretty good about
samples.  They insert at an angle just under the skin, and IMHO are much more
comfortable than the others.  They are good for kids because you can adjust
the depth to be very shallow.  They fit in both manufacturers, MM or Dis.

You're doing GREAT!!!

Best wishes,
pumping 4 yrs, DM 20 yrs.

<< My daughter Eileen, 12 has been pumping for less than a week, everything
 going fine. Yesterday before dinner checked her bg, was 190, 4 hours later,
 (12:00 p.m.) 348! Decided to give a bolus of 3.0 units and check her during
 the night. At 2:00 p.m. was 163, and at 5:00 p.m. 223, at 9:00 am 318! Gave
 injections on the arm and am going to change her set which was due for
 changing today. Do you think her site went wrong. I use sofset micros. Also,
 how do you use the IV300 tape that came with my supplies. Do you out it on
 first and insert set thru it? I dont remember our MMed trainer using it. We
 are using Humalog. >>