Re: [IP] Mixing Allergy Meds & Diabetes?

Hi Sammi.  I had recent experience with Claratin and something probably close
to Prednizone which I think is a steroid.  If I'm wrong, just skip down to
Claratin.  Steroid first--I had an evil sinus infection that would not leave
so finally went to an ENT who gave me a giant syringe full of steroids.  I
asked what the effect on my BG would be--she said it would make it go up a
little.  A little--ha!!!  After a nightmarish few days during which I
eventually more than doubled my basals along with extra boluses, things
settled down.  Later I told my endo about this, who said, why didn't you call
me (why didn't I? I'm not used to having a good endo yet).  He said he would
have told me  to start by doubling the basals and so extra monitoring, etc.
This was an injection--so probably way different, but I would *certainly*
call her doc (in this case I'd also call a real endo . . . golly, I think our
Moms have the same doctor)  before she starts taking the stuff.  I've had a
similar reaction with a cortisone injection in my wrist for carpal
tunnel--was told it would "stay local" and not effect my BG.  Wrong, wrong,

Claratin:  had a nasty mystery rash after some intense hiking in Italy--maybe
some sort of plant problem, not poison ivy.  Went around to various
pharmacies rolling up my sleeves and saying "per favore, Calamine lotion"
which is evidently unknown in Italy.  Lots of mysterious unguents were
produced, all very interesting but none of which worked.  I went through a
lot of lire before finally I got some Claratin (which BTW is shockingly cheap
over there) and it helped, and seemed to have no effect on my BG.  It did
make me very thirsty, so I drank extra litres of acqua minerale.  When I got
back, I was given Hydroxyzine 25 mg tabs.  It worked the best, but is only
for night, because it knocked me out cold.

I found that baths in colloidal oatmeal helped alot too, and were very
interesting to my dogs, who kept trying to drink my baths.

I have lots of allergies and have noticed that if I just suffer through them,
not wanting to take antihistamines, I seem to need a bit more insulin.  But
if I take my half a benadryl twice a day, my dosage seems to go down a
little.  I haven't looked at this consistently enough to prove it, but my
feeling is there's a connection somewhere.

Sorry to go on and on.  I'd love to hear other posts on this subject, as I
have poison ivy in my yard and would like to clear it out, but so far am
scared of it.  If anyone's replying just to Sammi would you mind shooting me
a copy?

Trish, dx age 10, pushin' 40, about to celebrate a year of pumping