Re: Re: [IP] Hgb. A1C

In a message dated 7/24/00 11:56:20 PM, email @ redacted writes:

<<  if the glycosalation
rates increase in a roughly linear manner with the bg's, >>

You know what, Tim, I have no idea if the glycosalation increases in a linear
manner with the bg's, only that they are positively correlated.  There seems
to be a difference in how blood sugar affects the HA1c in different people
(and maybe the same person under different conditions?), and I don't believe
it is even still really well understood if the glycosalation being measured
is really the same as that which is the first step in most complications.
But, statistically, the higher results are very strongly correlated with risk
of complications. So it is not a perfect test, only another imperfect tool in
our arsenal of imperfect ways to deal with this disease.

But let me assure you that these tools are a lot better than what we had in
1955 when I was diagnosed.

Linda Z