Re: [IP] Hgb. A1C

> >This test, is indeed, an average of the previous 2-3 months glucoses. In
> >simple terms, glucose sticks to the hemoglobin in red blood cells. Since
> >cell lasts an average of 60-90 days, the amount of glucose "Stuck" on it
> >be measured. It can be deceptive though, as an average it could reflect a
> >wide ranging swing from lows to highs.
> Anne,
> Do you have any references which would support this?  As I have
> posted, the pink panther book specifically debunks this view:
> http://www.uchsc.edu/misc/diabetes/13qa.html.  Of course, the author
> could be wrong, but the book has the ring of truth all the way
> through it, in my opinion.
> Thanks,
> Tim

This thread has really got me wondering, because it challenges what I've
always believed about HbA1c's, based on my doctor & on the resources I've
read & explored...all of that can be a very good thing, because it's causing
me to refresh my mind, research-wise, & I think we all need that every so
often!  :)

References I'm finding on this include:

In the lab, a technician measures the red blood cells, that have glucose
attached to them.  This tells you what your average blood glucose level was
over the past three to four months....people without diabetes have about a
5% reading.
        -ADA Complete Guide to Diabetes

By measuring the A1c, your doctor will know your overall blood-sugar level
for the last couple of months.  A normal level ranges between 3.2 and 6.2
percent (equivalent to a blood sugar level of 60 to 120 mgs), depending on
the method used by the laboratory.  NOTE:  Occasionaaly, the hemoglobin A1c
test fails to give accurate or useful results...the results could be skewed
by wide swings in your blood sugar levels just before undergoing the test.
*Also:  The basis of what is being tested - Glucose tends to stick to the
hemoglobin A that makes up 97.5 percent of your red blood cells.  The more
sugar in your blood, the more saturated the hemoglobin A becomes.
(Conversely - the less sugar in your blood, the less that will be in
evidence.)  Once the cells have glucose attached to them, the sugar remains
there throughout their lifespan - about 120 days.
        -Controlling Diabetes the Easy Way (Mirsky & Heilman)

It analyzes how much glucose has bonded with your red blood cells.  This
measurement indicates what your average blodd sugar has been over the past
eight to ten weeks.
        The Diabetic's Book (Biermann & Toohey)

These are the references I've found looting around here this morning, that
seem to disagree with the book chapter you gave.  I'm really curious
now...what IS the "Pink Panther Book"?  Is that the name of it, & who wrote

Still Seeking Knowledge,