[IP] Glycohemoglobin (A1c Hgb) Test

Glycohemoglobin is the percentage of hemoglobin in the red blood cells which
has been glycosylated. Since a red blood cell only lasts about 30 days in
the circulation it doesn't say much about control before or after. 6% A1c
reflects 120 mg/dl of glucose. For every 1% increase in A1c the glucose has
increased by 30 mg/dl. The values are good for 30 to 60 days. Furthermore,
the value is a sort of moving average over 30 to 60 days. Glycosylation of
hemoglobin is a result of passive chemical exposure of hemoglobin to glucose
For those readers who remember some integral calculus, it is the integration
of the glucose levels over 30 to 60 days. 6% A1c = 120 mg/dl,
7%a1c=150mg/dl, 85A1C=180 mg/dl etc,etc10%=240mg/dl. It seems incredible
that before pumping my A1c was 17% now, it's 7.5,(no lows) two months ago it
was 6.3. (with a lot of lows). The lows don't drive it down but they do keep
it low. Just my explanation FWIW. Spot and Christine.