[IP] Re: Sulfites

> From: Ginny Kloth
> Many people are allergic to to sulfites to the point of having anaphalatic
> schock from sulfites. I am one of them. I am not able to drink wine or eat
> anything with sulfites in it even hotdogs.
> Ginny

Hi Ginny,

I have had two primary doctors and my endo recommend red wine but you are
correct, some are allergic to sulfites.  The FDA estimates that ~1% of the
population is allergic to sulfites.  However, ~10% of the population is
asthmatic and most of those who are allergic to sulfites fall into the group
of asthmatics (~5% of asthmatics are allergic to sulfites).  Of those
asthmatics the ones who have the greatest reaction are the ones who are
steroid dependent and use such drugs as prednisone and methylprednisolone.
I know, in addition to diabetes,  you have multiple conditions including
lupus, and use steroids, but I don't recall if you have asthma.  In spite of
this, I wish you good health and am sorry you cannot enjoy fine wine which,
in moderation, I find very enjoyable and beneficial.

John Kinsley
email @ redacted
Type 1 since 1956
MM 507 since 6/9/98