Re: Subject: [IP] When is it D?

On 21 Jul 00, at 8:59, John Bowen and Nancy Morgan wrote:

>  I just wish we
> could have a mentoring system where each person on this list became a big
> brother/big sister to 1 (or a dozen) diabetic folks who are in that Egyptian
> river (denial) and show them how it's done.

We've discussed this idea locally and I've been involved in doing some
mentoring.  The problem is that you sometimes butt heads with the "medical
professionals" who don't like you telling their patients how to investigate
medical issues and think for themselves instead of just "trusting the
doctor".   And then there's always the Type II person that you spend a few
hours with, trying to teach them something about bg monitoring and how to
just log their numbers to give to the doctor, and they turn to you and say
"all I've got is a touch of sugar, so won't I be OK if I just don't eat any
more candy?"...

Rev. Randall Winchester
WD4HVA (email @ redacted)