Re: [IP] Re: Sulfites

John Kinsley <email @ redacted> wrote:

> Several years ago, when the health benefits of wine were being touted, there
> was a lot of talk, and concern, about the sulfites in wine.  Sulfites are
> added to many foods as a preservative.  Altough sulfites ocur in small
> quantities, naturally, in wine it is also added.  Resveritrol is the the
> effective antioxidant in red wine.

Sulfites are used to sterilize the aging barrels before use.  They provide no direct benefit to the wine, but it's simply a residual from the sterilization process.

Jim Handsfield
mailto:email @ redacted

The opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of my wife who runs this house and makes more important decisions than I do.