[IP] Re: DM Management and Pumping

Jim wrote:

> [...]
they are "required to" for pumping MDI wouldn't be so "inadequate"...
Spending so much or fighting insurance makes it uncomfortable to say this
"isn't for me" after the fact...<<<<

RoseLea Replied:

>> Jim, for me, just learning diabetes management with MDI wasn't all that
adequate.  There were too many unknown factors with shots, sometimes the
insulin absorbed quickly, sometimes not, .................. <snip>....
Also, with NPH on shots, I ALWAYS had to eat at specified times, or I would
be in gaga land very quickly.  With the pump, this no longer happens.  The
pump has leveled off my bgs, has provided an EASIER way of control that
MDI .... <snip> .....
I would never go back to shots, I don't care how much training they'd want
to give me to do it........<snip>.....<<

Both sides of this issue have merit, and are not mutually exclusive.  It's a
matter of degrees.  I asked myself the same question that Jim asks, after my
initial and surprising results with the pump.  I never had extensive pump
training.  I was shown how to insert the Sof-Set, given recommended
basal/bolus formulas and turned loose.  The reason for my brief training was
because I was already carb counting, testing 8 times a day, and doing 8 to
10 injections a day on MDI.  My HbA1c's were 6.6 - 7.0 before pumping and
5.9 - 6.5 after pumping.  The big difference is the reduced swings and
infrequent hypos.  I had put just as much effort into control before the
pump as after, but the payback for the effort with the pump is dramatic.
One person is not a representative sampling but I feel that the payback for
many others on the pump would be similar.  I would also venture that
patients are "required" to learn proper management while on MDI but often
become lax and fail to follow through because of less than adequate results,
while experiencing the wide swings and the accompanying hypos.  The pump
provides the means AND THE INCENTIVE to expend the effort.  In short, if we
try harder now it's because we get the results.

John Kinsley
email @ redacted
Type 1 since 1956
MM 507 since 6/9/98