Re: [IP] Cory and the pump

>Oh boy oh boy -- I am soooo excited!  Cory's doctor has said YES to the pump!
> Shall I cry or laugh?  This is such an emotional issue.  It's been a real
>battle and so many times I have felt so defeated.  Many of you have posted
>and privately mailed your support and that has meant an awful lot to me.  We
>are still just in the beginning stages so I know the war isn't over but at
>least this first battle has been won!  We go for a pump class on August 6th.
>Cory's A1c was 6.8.  He always has good ones, but yet he has all those wide
>swings in his control.  Currently, the night time lows have become a super
>struggle.  We've reduced the insulin by 2 units yet he is eating way too much
>food from 9 pm until 2 or 3 am.  He can have a bacon sandwhich, peanut butter
>and jelly sandwhich, etc. about 3 times (9 pm, 11 pm and again in the wee
>hours of the monring) and still wake up low the next morning.  At other times
>he might eat less food and wake up high the next morning.  I guess little boy
>hormones are playing games with us!  I don't know that the pump will prevent
>all the problems we've had but at least the highs will be easier to "fix" and
>hopefully we won't have to deal with peaks like we do with the NPH.  At least
>we are ready to give this a try.
>Thanks one and all for all the support and I know you understand exactly how
>I feel right now,
>Grand-mom to Cory
>age 10 ~ dx'd 12/28/98

That's wonderful news!!  I'm so happy for you.  I know the feeling.

Don't know if Cory will have the same result, but Noah's wild swings
in bg's stabilized with the pump.  And, like Cory, his A1C's were
good on MDI.  Unfortunately, A1C's can be misleading.  If you're
experiencing both a lot of lows and highs your A1C will reflect a
balance of these extremes and fall into an acceptable range.  But I
don't consider that good control.   We also had difficulty in getting
Noah's basals right on MDI for night time.  He was waking up in the
200-300 range more times than not.  We tried many things to correct
but weren't successful until the pump.  He now wakes with a bg in the
80-150 range 80% of the time.

Congratulations and best of luck!

Cindy, mom to 13 y/o Noah, dx at age 9, pumping since 7/99