Re: [IP] Labor with pump on??

Hi!

My daughter is now 10 months so it hasn't been too long since I did this.
Yes, I labored with my pump on and we controlled the numbers (with input, of
course from docs when needed but I think our approach was much tighter and
more proactive than theirs would have been).  The tricky part was after -- I
needed to turn the basals down much more than I did -- we were much too
cautious about that for the first day or two (then it starts to settle out
again).  As a result, I ran on the low side and couldn't get up.

There shouldn't be much difference between humalog time and regular
intraveneously (remember that R intraveneously works much faster than it does
subcutaneously so the two are not really the same).

When you negotiate with your doctor keep in mind that he will not be in the
room during most of your labor and post-delivery time (and even some of the
delivery).  That means that he will have to give orders with formulas in them
and be tracked down if anything changed.  Sometimes it can take quite a while
to catch the doctor and implement changes.  If he gives you at least some
control, you won't have that problem.

Good luck!

Ruth