[IP] It's Not Over Till It's Over

> Die Post Die, Enough said Already,  Isn't there anything new to talk
> about!!! :o(   PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS MY OPINION AND MY OPINION ONLY AND
> KNOWBODY IS TWISTING MY ARM TO WRITE THIS POST!!  I  HOPE THAT THERE WILL
BE
> NEWER AND BETTER THINGS TO READ ABOUT IN THE FUTURE!!     Please E-mail me
> privately with any comments about this post!!

CJ,

I know you asked for personal responses here, but I really wanted to share
this one with the list, so bear with me here, if you will.  I saw a post
maybe a week or so back that complained of people still responding to what
(to the writer...& perhaps many others) had become an "old issue", so this
is, in essence, a reply to that as well.

Please know that many of us do not have daily computer access...there are
those who may only get to check & reply to their mail once a week, on
someone else's computer or on a public access one, at a library or
something.  Others may have delightfully archaic systems that randomly crash
& leave them marooned on an e-mail-less island for weeks - then they come
back & play "catch-up" with a few thousand e-mails here.  Also, particularly
during the summer months, when vacations crop up, many listers may be gone
for a while & then return, a week or so behind.

Here at our house, we frequently are out of town for the weekend - so
sometimes (especially if Thursday & Friday had been too hectic for some
reason to be online at all), my Monday morning brings me face to face with
several hundred e-mails...some you might see as somewhat "past their prime"
& growing stale.  What I usually try to do is:

1) scan the subjects & delete those that seem really irrelevant to my
situation (such as "Good endos in Chicago?" or "MM tech question").
2) the ones I DO want to answer, I keep, but I read on before
responding...that way if someone else has already offered a reply that would
be very similar to my own, I let it go, to avoid repetition for all.
3) those to which I feel I have something valid to offer - an addition,
thought, question, observation, whatever - I reply to, without worrying
necessarily about the age or possible expiration date on the thread!  :)
Yes, I've replied to things that have already been "out there" several
weeks...but what I have to say may be one of those things that has yet to be
said, & it may help someone out.  No apologies here for keeping a thread
"hanging on" as long as we've got thought/insights to offer on it.

In some cases, the focus of the thread shifts, & the subject heading does
not - being more mindful of changing that might help in many cases,
indicating the different direction being taken.  That might alleviate some
of the seeming immortality or endless resurrections of threads that we start
to become (yes, I'm going to say it) burnt-out with.  :)  You know what
though?  As long as people are still talking on/expanding a thread,
apparently there is a need for that in someone, somewhere...it may not be
your need, or even one you have patience with, but try to respect it as
such.

Another consideration...this list is always growing.  True, you may have
seen the same subject header on a thread for the past two weeks & be sick to
death of it - but Little Susie Newbie (no offense to the "Susies" out
there...I was once "Little Sammi Newbie", but Susie sounds better to me!)
may have just gotten on the list for the first time today, &, old & tired as
that thread may seem to you, it is new to her & may contain a reference to
exactly the question she needs to ask...so allow her that!

We all (I hope) posess the techno-skills to use a delete button...if there
are subjects on which you think "Jeez - I've heard enough already!", use
them - no problem!  But please don't insist on a "statute of limitations" on
responding to postings...sometimes the very best answers are not the
immediate ones, but the ones that appear weeks later, when you least expect
it!!

She of the Long-Winded Posts,
Sammi