[IP] Insulin

Ginny asked..SNIP???Subject: Re: [IP] RE: Storing insulin
I am wondering then why the bottles of insulin have such a long experation
date? The ones I get expire in the year 2002. So if kept refrigerated they
must be able to last that long unopened? Another thing to think about is
how they are transported. They are not refridgerated in a truck. :(
Ginny    email @ redacted<<<<<<

I too have wondered about everyone's insulin experiences....The bottles I
get always have expiration dates a year or so in the future,  my pharmacist
stores them in the fridge until I pick them up.  I keep then in my fridge
until I need to open another bottle which is then kept at room temperature
for a few weeks in my bathroom.   I keep a partial bottle in my "stash kit"
with reservoir, 2 cannulas, syringe, alcohol swabs, etc., and in 15 years I
have only had one bottle of insulin go bad, because I left in 110 degree
heat for a day in my car.

If Lilly puts such long expiration dates on them, why are they saying they
are only good for a few months....I just can't figure out about all this
"bad insulin" people keep having.   It is very curious.
Bonnie Richardson