Re: [IP] when is it D

I may get flamed for this violation of "let's not rock the boat" - I will make
an absolute statement that it's diabetes anytime a BG (on more than 1 occasion)
is over 200 mg/dl.
(read further before attacking...I have included some text from the American
Diabetes Association below)

That is no matter what has been eaten!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Denial is such a wonderful tool - It's amazing how few people "really" die from
diabetes and how few have problems (both physical and emotional) when using a

Thinking out loud.... Wonder if using syringes is so tramatic that any way to
not use them is a G_D Send....

email @ redacted wrote:

> When is it diabetes?  It used to be above 140, now they lowered it to 126.
> However a non-diabetic could have an elevated blood sugar if they just ate a
> large meal or are on a medication such as steroids.  Your neighbor should
> check first thing in the morning or after fasting for several hours.

The following was pulled from the American Diabetes Association web site from a
1997 proposal (later instituted) of at what BG levels diabetes is diagnosed:
The Expert Committee stated that diabetes can be
                diagnosed in any one of the following three ways,
                confirmed on a different day by, again, any one of these
                three tests:

                         1.An FPG of ³ 126 mg/dl (after
                            no caloric intake for at least 8
                            hours); or
                         2.A casual plasma glucose (taken
                            at any time of day without
                            regard to time of last meal) ³
                            200 mg/dl with the classic
                            diabetes symptoms of
                            increased urination, increased
                            thirst and unexplained weight
                            loss; or
                         3.An oral glucose tolerance test
                            (OGTT) ***"value of greater than or equal to"*** 200
                            in the two-hour sample. ***(symbol did not

                But the Committee clearly states that the FPG is the
                preferred test and recommends moving toward its
                universal use for testing and diagnosis because of its
                ease of administration, convenience, acceptability to
                patients, and lower cost (compared to the OGTT).

                The Expert Committee notes that the hemoglobin A1c
                test (also known as HbA1c or glycosylated hemoglobin)
                is not, at this time, recommended for diagnosis. It should
                also be noted that the finger-prick test used by people
                with diabetes to monitor their blood glucose levels, and
                sometimes used at health fairs and diabetes risk
                assessments among the general public, is not considered
                a diagnostic procedure.

                New State Defined Between "Normal" and

                The Committee defined a value of 110 mg/dl on the FPG
                as the upper limit of normal blood glucose. The
                Committee also recognized two categories of impaired
                glucose metabolism (or impaired glucose homeostasis)
                that are considered risk factors for future diabetes and
                cardiovascular disease:

                         1.Impaired Fasting Glucose
                            (IFG), a new category, when
                            fasting plasma glucose is ***"value of greater than
or equal to"*** 110
                            but < 126 mg/dl;   ***(symbol did not translate)***
                         2.Impaired Glucose Tolerance
                            (IGT), an existing category,
                            when results of the more
                            complicated oral glucose
                            tolerance test are ***"value of greater than or
equal to"*** 140 but <
                            200 mg/dl (in the two-hour
                            sample).  ***(symbol did not translate)***

                "Research has shown that people with impaired glucose
                homeostasis are at high risk for developing diabetes and
                macrovascular complications, such as heart attacks and
                strokes, and therefore should be closely monitored,"
                cautioned Dr. Gavin.

                Dr. Gavin mentioned that a major multi-center clinical
                trial, the Diabetes Prevention Program, is now
                underway by the NIDDK to determine whether early
                treatment can prevent or delay the development of
                diabetes in people with impaired glucose homeostasis.
                NIDDK will be incorporating the Committee’s
                recommendations into the trial’s protocol.

Jim S.
email @ redacted

I don't think the Emperor is wearing any clothes, I must be wrong - just ask
everyone else.