RE: [IP] Giving Blood

Jan [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> My place won't let me donate blood because they said it's
> dangerous. Anybody
> know why? They wouldn't tell me what was "dangerous" about donating.

Nothing, provided you are otherwise healthy.  They simply don't know what
the American Red Cross (ARC) standards are (which follow federal standards,
BTW).  As a rule, the concern is for the *recipient* of the blood, not the
donor.  If you want to donate, contact your nearest office of the ARC and
ask them for a copy of the guidelines regarding diabetes in writing and take
it with you next time you go to donate.  Basically, if you are in good
health and have not had a significant change in your therapy/insulin regime
in the past six weeks, there is no reason that you cannot donate.

Jim Handsfield
mailto:email @ redacted OR
mailto:email @ redacted