Re: [IP] When you begin pump question

Mary age 7 waited a whole week for her first Butterfinger's McFlurry,  and she
followed it the next night with smores at camp.  (It was a family camping
experiene not diabetes camp.)
We pumped saline for a week and then went back to the endo's office for a second
session of training and started live.  Our endo this summer had us not give her
the NPH at breakfast that morning.  We had no overnight hospital stay, no
observation time in the endo's office, and no "restrictions" placed on her as to
what she could or could not eat.  The best part so far, is not having to snack
or eat meals at a certain time.  Three weeks into it, we still don't quite have
the basals or boluses nailed down yet, but today was much better.
Does anyone have any suggestions on trying to nail these down with a child that
is still honeymooning?  Her pattern the last 3 1/2 years is no pattern as to
when and which day her body makes a surge of insulin.  I sure wish that I had a
crystal ball.  Up until she started on the pump the goal was to prevent her from
going too high and avoid too many lows.  We must have been doing something right
as her last AlC prepump was 7.1.

Susanne