[IP] Re: Storing insulin

Dear Linda,
When our young friend was recently diagnosed, Katie and I spent a lot of
time at the hospital with her folks and her helping them get adjusted to
Diabetes.  One of the things I noticed was that the hospital stored their
insulin on a cabinet in the nurse's station.  When I mentioned that the
insulin was to be stored in a refrigerator (and showed them the paper
inside each insulin box that mentions that) they just shrugged and said
that all the "left over" insulin was thrown away at the end of each
month!  Just made me sick.  Maybe you should bring your concerns to your
pharmacy.  Let us know what they say, will you?
God Bless,
Debbie, Mom of Katie, 9, dx'd 9/97
MiniMed pumper since 8/2/99 (youngest pumper in Alaska...so far!)

Just a quick question for the list:

The last 3 time I have gone to pick up my insulin (Novolin Regular) at
pharmacy it has been stored on a shelf with other prescriptions.
Previous to
this they always kept it refrigerated.  At home I keep all my insulin
refrigerated except for the bottle I am currently using which I keep at

Do you think I should worry about my pharmacy's procedure?  I know at my
home what room temp. is but I have no idea the temperature variations of
pharmacy or how long my insulin is out of refrigeration before I pick it

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks, Linda