[IP] Fw: Islet Trial Centers and Selecetion Criteria Announced

I just thought I'd forward this in case anybody's interested.
Julie

> Beginning in September 2000, researchers at nine centers will perform a
total of approximately 40 transplants over the following
> 12 months under the direction of Dr. James Shapiro, Director and Head of
the Clinical Islet Transplant Program at the University of
> Alberta in Edmonton.
>
> Following is a list of centers selected for the extended Edmonton trials,
and the selection criteria that will be followed. We will be
> contacting eligible individual registrants in the Insulin-Free World
Foundation's Islet Registration and Update Service with
> information about how to proceed. We will keep all registrants abreast of
developments in islet trials at world class centers that
> are not included in this set of trials.
>
> CENTERS SELECTED:
>
> University of Alberta Clinical Islet Transplantation Program
> Edmonton, Canada
>
> Diabetes Research Institute, University of Miami
> Miami, Florida
>
> Diabetes Institute for Immunology and Transplantation
> University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota
>
> Juvenile Diabetes Foundation Center for Islet Transplantation
> Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts
>
> Diabetes Research Training Center, Washington University
> St. Louis, Missouri
>
> Pacific Northwest Research Institute
> Seattle, Washington
>
> Organ/Tissue Transplant Research Center
> National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland
>
> Islet Transplant Centre, Justis-Liebig University
> Giessen, Germany
>
> San Raffaele Scientific Institute
> University of Milan, Milan, Italy
>
> University Hospital, Geneva, Switzerland
>

> SELECTION CRITERIA:
>
> Age 18 - 65
>
> Type 1 diabetes for more than 5 years
>
> "Brittle" diabetes (that is, practice tight control but still experience
rapid, out-of-proportion blood glucose changes)

> Do not adequately feel the onset of low blood sugar
>
> Had at least one hypoglycemic reation in teh last 1.6 years that cannot
be otherwise explained and required medical attention.

> Have progressive secondary complications (such as vision, kidney, nerve
or vascular problems), despite an optimal insulin
> regime
>
> Failure of intensive insulin management, as judged by an independent
endocrinologist

> NOT ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS SET OF TRIALS:
>
> People with Type 2 diabetes
>
> Children
>
> People with severe heart disease, active or a recent history of substance
abuse (including smoking), insulin requirements