[IP] Possible Answer To Some Tape Problems

This possibility may have already been suggested and investigated, but just
in case it hasn't, here's my recent experience.

First of all, I have gotten satisfactory results for 5 years with Smith &
Nephew IV Prep and IV3000 dressings. But that's NOT what my suggestion is
about. On 7/13 I had laparoscopic surgery to repair an inguinal hernia.
There are three 1/2 inch incisions that were closed with "steri-strip" tape.
Each of the incisions has a strip of tape that's 1/2 inch wide and 2 inches
long placed across the incision, i.e., the long dimension of each strip is
perpendicular to its associated incision. The tape material appears to be
clear plastic with an imbedded grid of threads (material unknown to me),
with 20 threads per inch. The adhesive and adhesive preparation method is
also unknown to me.

The surgeon's instructions include the following statement: "These
steri-strips will start to come off within 7-10 days. They are generally
removed on your first post-operative visit." As of 48 hours after my
surgery, all four corners of each of the 3 steri-strips are still firmly

I don't know if "steri-strip" is a trademark or not, but my guess is that it
is a trademark. It's very likely that the material is made in the USA,
because all of the dimensions I have mentioned were measured by me. They are
NOT inch approximations of actual metric dimensions. So I don't see how they
could have been made outside the USA.

Maybe the whole answer is in the adhesive and the preparation. Apparently
the technique has become common. So if it hasn't been investigated for use
with insulin pump infusion sets, it should be, for the benefit of those who
claim to have problems with what most of us use.