[IP] RE: Glucose sensor

<<sensors are expensive and the pump companies have
ones that work but don't last for long periods of time in the body, a very
hostile and unforgiving environment. If they married the sensors to the
infusion sets they could be assured you would change them frequently but the
insurers would probably freak out totally. What do you think B Brad?>>

Since I have been asked for my opinion, here goes:

Most of the research I have reviewed indicates the body tries to "wall off
the invader", eventually causing some problems with the sensors ability to
detect the correct levels of BG. When a sensor is connected to a delivery
device, the same issues are there, and in addition, there is another site
under the skin with an implanted pump. This is the concept involved with an
artificial pancreas. The sensor will need to know the prevaling BG level,
and communicate to the pump that more or less insulin is needed. VERY

Over time (undetermined), the sensor and the implanted pump will need to be
replaced. How long that takes is yet to be determined by what I have read so
far. (I am currently limited in access to all this data.)

Another consideration is the insulin placed into the implanted pump. What
type? How much will the internal pump hold? How does it get replaced? By an
injection through the skin to a special port located within the internal
pump? How often will the implanted pump need to be replaced? (Another minor
surgical procedure.)

A lot of issues to be addressed!  I think some of the companies are getting
close with their efforts. Animas, Disetronic and MiniMed are all working on

Wish I could say more about it.
Barbara A. Bradley, MS, RN, CDE