[IP] Re: When you begin pump question

Recently Susan asked:

> I have been reading that in the beginning many patients have an overnight
> hospital stay and that you are off NPH for a few days prior to pumping.  How
> do you keep the blood sugar under control during that time?

My endo had me stop the Lente (similar to NPH) the day before. I had to get
up every two hours the night before and do a small injection of Humalog to
keep things under control. This meant additional testing, of course. But it
went OK. I didn't stay in the hospital, and he only agreed to that if I
agreed to have my wife wake up with me all night long the night after I went
on the pump. Which was not a problem: she's been a great supporter for

Keith Johnson
Fleischmann Planetarium
email @ redacted
"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana."