[IP] Surgery and a blast from the past

> My last anesthesiologist thought my
> pump would automatically give me insulin to cover breakfast at whatever
> I was supposed to eat breakfast. <sigh>  Education is in order here.
> Jan (and Elvis)

When CPI quit making pumps and my 9 y/o Betatron II was working just fine, I
HAD to find another pump company since I couldn't get supplies. The MiniMed
rep knew I did not want one with a clock in it. At that time, those with
internal clocks (mine had a timer), automatically gave insulin for
mealtimes. I told Mr. Rep that *I* wanted to be in control - not a clock
controlling me! He called since he knew I had to update. First thing I asked
was, "Does it have a clock?" He said it did and I said I don't want it. He
said, "Wait, you have to listen to what this one does." I got the MM 506
then. Therefore, Jan's anesthesiologist probably was going by past pumps
that he was familiar with. He also needs to keep up to date.

This also goes along with *olden days* stuff: A professor on another one of
my lists was recently dx'd T-2. He posted today very upset that a recipe was
on a DM website that included potatoes and carrots. He has always known
DMers cannot eat potatoes and carrots - what are they trying to do - kill
us?  I told him we're allowed to eat food and explained about the ADA
guidelines having changed. I recommended strongly that he request DM
classes. I tried not to imply that he was dumb. Poor guy - I'd be lost
without my mashed potatoes and butter for the last almost 50 years! 8^(
Jan (61 y/o, T-1 11/5/50, pmpg 8/23/83) & Bluda Sue (MM507C, 3/99)  webpage