Re: [IP] Medical Procedure

In a message dated 7/12/00 10:31:13 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< My wife is having a medical procedure done and the anesthesiologist told
her to cut her basal rate in half after midnight tonight. Does this sound
right.. >>

Hi Jeff

Nope. The anesthesiologist probably only knows about insulin injections, in
which case cutting back a bit makes sense because of insulin peaks -- which
you don't get with a pump. I've had a couple of surgeries with my pump on and
didn't change a thing. When they told me to cut back, I just nodded ... and
kept on running my regular basal rates. My last anesthesiologist thought my
pump would automatically give me insulin to cover breakfast at whatever time
I was supposed to eat breakfast. <sigh>  Education is in order here ..

Jan (and Elvis)