RE: [IP] Pump Run-Ins

Ryan Suchy [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> I recently read somewhere that they have discovered it is not
> damaging to
> Diabetics to have three beers a day for men and two for
> women, with Food of
> course.

Many alcohol control types have had a great deal of difficulty dealing with
most of the data regarding alcohol use - that moderate use apparently has an
overall benefit to health. I think it's reasonable to say that this includes
diabetics *provided* that it is accounted for in one's total caloric intake,
etc. IOW, that it is part of one's general diet.

Some data indicate that any and all alcohol is the same, but other data
indicate that wine (red wine in particular) has benefits that other
alcoholic beverages do not.

In any case, the key is moderation. One caution about beer, however, is that
it *does* contain carbohydrates (approximately 15g per 12 oz, depending on
brand, etc. - light beers have about 8g CHO per 12 oz while as some of the
heavier ales may have as much as 20g CHO per 12 oz). As you say, alcohol,
which is an oral hypoglycemic agent, should be taken with food as a rule.
Also, because of its effect on the liver, count the alcohol as *fat* when
figuring your diet.

BTW, I suppose I should say that anyone with an alcohol addiction problem
should abstain entirely.

Jim Handsfield
mailto:email @ redacted OR
mailto:email @ redacted