[IP] bh&g article

I just got home and read my Better Homes & Garden mag, and at the end, on
page 178, there is an article entitled "Dirty Neck?  See the Doc"  and I
thought I would let it fly by you all.
I quote directly from the article:
"If you notice a smudge that won't budge on your child's neck, skip the
scrubbing and head to the doctor.
  Dr. Charles Stuart, a professor of medicine at the University of Texas
Medical Branch in Galveston, says that a dark, thick patch of skin on the
neck, elbows, knees, or armpits can indicate high blood insulin levels.
High insulin levels suggest that a person is at high risk for developing
Type 2 diabetes, a chronic disease that makes the body unable to use insulin
properly.  Most often, the skin discoloration is first notices when children
reach ages 10, 11 or 12.
In his studies of thousands of American schoolchildren, Dr. Stuart found
that the smudge was most prevalent among Native American, African-American,
and Hispanic children.  Dr. Stuart isn't sure why they smudge is more
prevalent among these groups, but he suspects the ability to develop the
mark is hereditary.
The good news is that the discoloration can easily be reversed.  DR. Stuart
has seen smudges fade and eventually disappear in a few weeks when children
improved their diets, exercised, and lost weight.  "I've seen teenage girls
who've become jocks, lost weight and lost the lesion," he says.
See a doctor if you notice a smudge on your child.  Dr. Stuart warns that
some doctors may have outdated medical information that suggest the smudge
indicated an internal malignancy.  HE says the smudge is rarely a serious
condition, but it does signal some lifestyle changes should be made."  end
I can't say I know anything about this, has anyone else ever heard of such a
thing?  Or have any of you heard of Dr. Stuart?
Thanks for any feedback,  I truthfully don't think, that if I had children,
I would not think anything about this if they had a "smudge", would you?
Lori A. Willey
First Express Inc.