[IP] Re: Children pumping

>In a message dated 7/9/00 4:38:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>email @ redacted writes:
><< Subject: [IP] Re: Children Pumping
> Hi Susan,
> I'm just sharing this with you - not sure if it will be of help.  I
> pack Noah's lunch for school and write on his paper bag the amount he
> is to bolus.  However, if he is out of range, he knows how to adjust
> for that.  For instance, if his bg is 250, he'll do a correction of
> 1.5 (which will drop him 150 pts to 100 - as he  usually gets a 10 pt
> drop per .1 of bolus or 100 pts per 1 unit of bolus).  It works
> great.  He loves that he doesn't have to stand in lunch line!
> Cindy, mom to 13 y/o Noah, dx at age 9, pumping since 7/99
>  >>
>Are you saying that he does all this on his own?----No going to the clinic to
>test or bolus? Does anyone observe or does he do it all independently?
>Grand-mom to Cory
>age 10 ~ dx'd 12/28/98

Yes, he does this on his own - in the cafeteria after he tests.  No
supervision needed.  I really wouldn't want anyone else in charge of
his pumping; he's the one who uses it daily and knows how to operate
it.  For us, it doesn't make sense to try and train someone on how it
works.  We haven't had any problems with this except for a time or
two when he ate lunch and forgot to bolus.  Feeling high a couple
hours later, he did it then.  Not too big a deal.  However, the first
few months he was on the pump, I did provide the school nurse with a
list of instructions on changing the site.  I help Noah with this and
felt more comfortable with someone supervising.  We no longer have to
this as he's been pumping for a year now and has more experience with
site changes.

You will know in observing Cory how well he understands bolusing and
when he is ready to do it on his own.  My biggest concern with Noah
was that he just remember to do it, not that he didn't know how to do
it.  He started pumping in July, so we had a month and a half to
prepare before school started.  That helped a lot.

Cindy, mom to 13 y/o Noah, dx at age 9, pumping since 7/99