[IP] Re: Humalog and the Heart

Dr. Jose Cara was head of pediatric endocrinology and diabetes at the Henry
Ford Hospital in Detroit, Mich. and was also a  member of the Endocrinologic
and Metabolic Drugs Advisory Committee which advised the FDA on whether to
approve lispro insulin.  Although there was no documented evidence, he had
some concern about lispro's (Humalog's) effect on the heart in some people,
I believe especially in children.  His suspicions arose out of the similarty
between the molecular structure of lispro and insulin-like growth factor
(IGF-1) which has been known to cause coronary problems.   He still voted,
along with the others, for a unanimous approval of lispro because its
benefits outweighed any POSSIBLE risk.  Eli Lily was to do further class IV
studies (after market) in this area but I never heard of any findings to
support the suspicions and Humalog has been in use, including use in
children, for several years now without incident.

John Kinsley
email @ redacted
Type 1 since 1956
MM 507 since 6/9/98