[IP] Spirituality

Hello Everyone
I just wanted to thank David and Vixen (:) for opening the door to a true
discussion of spirituality as opposed to a dogmatic discussion of religion.
In fact I was just thinking about the connection between diabetes and
spirituality yesterday in the shower. I have been a spiritual seeker for much
of my life, but I am curious about how much my diagnosis and near death
experience at 7 triggered my life long quest. I know that this discussion
will most likely end up on the new list on Diabetes and Spirituality, but I
just wanted to pose a few questions to the broader list.
1. Did your diagnosis trigger any spiritual changes or seeking for others?
2. How many of you had near death and/or out of body experiences at the time
of diagnosis or at other times since you where diagnosed? Those of you who
have had near death and out of body experiences, how has this influenced your
spiritual beliefs or experiences?
3. Do you feel that being Diabetic has had a positive or deepening influence
on you as a spiritual being? How has Diabetes affected your perception of
spirituality or your higher power(s)? Have any of you had negative reactions
to Diabetes on a spiritual level? If so what where or are they?
Alright I could ask a million other questions, but I will spare you all for
I just found out that the University of Minnesota where I am pursuing my PhD
in Educational Psychology has a NIH founded program in Spirituality and
Healing. I have decided to MInor in Spirtuality and Healing. I will be
studying the connection between spirituality and healing for people with
chronic medical conditions such as Diabetes. I am also going to be looking at
the influence of spirituality on the capacity to heal one self or be
positively affected by "alternative healing therapies."
So I am very interested both personally and professionally in this subject.