[IP] Re: Children Pumping

Melissa Wrote:
<< If Cory can use the computer and is capable of doing his own shots, he's
WAY ahead of the game and probably won't even need to be locked out of his
pump! .....
remember that you can't just turn over the pump to him without supervising
him anymore! >>
The computer and shots are NO problem -- he can draw up his own insulin
including the am mix of insulins. He also knows how to use a sliding scale
(do adjustments).  I supervise him now and he would continue to be supervised
if on the pump.  I'm also ready to give any assistance he needs.  BUT the
school issue is another big subject.  There was a student in his elementary
school who began pumping last year and I know the clinic clerk and secretary
were trained by the diabetes educator.  This year Cory will begin middle
school, so training would need to be done again for the staff.  We only have
a nurse one day per week.  I am only a block away from the school, so I can
go in at lunch time if necessary.
How do you handle the missed class time?
I appreciate your comments.
Grand-mom to Cory
age 10 ~ dx'd 12/28/98