[IP] Basal testing

Alright, I have written and asked this question before but thought I'd do it
one more time to see if I can get a more consistent answer- I have asked many
people, doctors, and read the newest Pumping Insulin - How long before a rise
or decrease in blood sugar do you change the basal??  Some have said 1 hour,
2 hours, and the PI book said 3-6 hours for humalog which seems way off to
me.  I am frustrated with this, please give me some advice.  Thanks