Re: [IP] Re: staart pumping with saline

> "how many new child pumpers were required to have an
> overnight hospital stay? Our endo says we have to when she gets started on
> insulin.>>

Our son started pumping one year ago yesterday - he was "admitted" to a 23
hour observation unit (technically outpatient) and the pump was started at
about 9 am that day.  They inserted a saline lock and monitored his blood
sugar every hour for the next 23 hours.  I was glad that they did it that way
- because of the ultralente and NPH still in his system he ran VERY low for
the first day and we had immediate assistance when we needed it (I'm talking
blood sugars in the 30's and 40's).  They kept him on a rather regimented diet
for the first few weeks also, in order to fine tune his basals and his insulin
to carb ratio.  Being in the healthcare field myself, I appreciated their
rather conservative approach to the initiation of pump therapy,and I think it
helped for a smooth start up.

Our insurance paid for the 23 hour observation with no problems.  The pump
trainer from MM spent the morning with us (we had a 4 hour class with him
about two weeks before go-live), and the nurse from our endo team was in and
out all day.  Our doctor also checked in on Steve several times during the
day, and called in multiple times during the night.

The following morning, we went home and reported to the team at least once a
day for the first week.  Between all the support we received from our diabetes
team (at Connecticut Children's Medical Center), from insulin  pumpers and
from our best cyberbuddy Ellen, we had a virtually seamless transition from
MDI to pumping.

Sharon Tarca,
mom to Steven, 14
diabetic since 8/91, pumping since 7/99