RE: [IP] using the insulin in the tubing

"Fennessy, Colleen J Ms USACHPPM" <email @ redacted>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 09:54:55 -0400

Sherry Webb Nolan <email @ redacted>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 10:28:14 -0400
>I have a MM so with a D this may differ.

Most definitely it differs,
such "running out of insulin unexpectedly"
must be a Minimed pump users' universal problem,
because for users of the Disetronic H-Tron
series pumps, the amount of insulin remaining
is the very first thing one sees on the screen
when we push the S-button to "look" at anything.
It is "possible" for a Disetronic user to ignore
the pre-warning 20-units remaining alarm number10,
(which MM508 seems to have imitated too), and it
is also possible, but I hope unusual, for
an underfilled syringe to have less insulin than
the pump "believes" and "shows". Such stories of
"running out" appear to me to be a usual and
common difficulty of Minimed pump users.
Disetronic users can do similarly, but not so
easily to "pump air", but before that, can
reset to 150 or 315 to pump the remaining
typically 1 to 5 units before crashing the
plunger into the end of cartridge for Alarm 4.

David C. Winegarden
Fremont, CA