[IP] Ace inhibitors

My friend, an RN, who works with transplant patients (especially kidney
transplant patients) has told me about the studies being done on Type 1's
taking daily doses of ace inhibitors to prevent kidney problems.  Apparently,
studies have shown that ace inhibitors do help to prevent/slow down kidney
problems.  My doctor doesn't think it is necessary for me as I have fairly
good control and so far (knock on wood) no problems with my kidneys.  Ace
inhibitors also make your blood pressure decrease.  I was wondering if anyone
has heard about this treatment.  Thanks.