Re: [IP] ouch!

Alecia,
First, congrats on pumping.  The first few weeks were really hard for me.
The adjustment was difficult and to top it all off I had a box of defective
resevoirs (no lubricant in them) that kept giving me "no delivery"
signals.  I remember one day I changed my site like 7 or 8 times.  I was
ready to throw my pump in the garbage. My diabetes educator told me to
change my site every 3 days and she drilled me about being vigilant about
it (to prevent infection).  Personally, I think changing a site every other
day is far too frequent.  The pump manufacturers don't even recommend it.
Of course, everyone is different.  Some people have extreme sensitivity to
cannulas and have to change every other day.  If you are not sensitive to
the cannulas and your body seems to tolerate them (no infection etc) I
would try every 3 days.  Some people on this site go up to 5 or 6 days.

Are you able to use any other sets beside the silhouettes?  I found the
soft-sets easy to start off with.  You can purchase a soft-serter which
inserts them in a second flat.  This approach may help you get used to
putting the sites together and in.  It took me nearly a half hour to put a
site together and in when I first started pumping.  Now-- it takes approx.
5 minutes (sometimes sooner depending on the set I am using).  I still use
then tender-sets and the soft sets alternately.  My needles bend if I use
the soft-sets in my stomach and they are sore to touch.

I would also try to alternate sites fairly well.  As you have been probably
reading---some pumpers even use their breasts.  I use my stomach, legs (not
that often) and my hips.  If that doesn't help then I know pharmacies sell
a site ointment that numbs the area fairly well.  You could always give
that a try.

A big part of pumping is figuring out what works for you.  Everyone is
different and pumping is no exception.  Good luck and congrats.
Santana