[IP] Velosulin

> Ruth Elowitz wrote:
> Yes Velosulin is a type of regular invented for pump use in the early/mid
> 1980s -- at the time animal insulin were still prevelant and they needed
> buffering even more than R or H does.  Now, v still seems to work better
> for some people.  IT's never been widely used so you can usually guage
> an endo or cde's experience by whether or not they know what it is.

Well, I'll give you my experience on Velosulin: When I started pumping on
that checkbook-sized monster pump (CPI #9100 8/23/83) and used Lilly Regular
(BEEF&Pork - we stopped on the way home from school and saw BOTH cows and
pigs <gr>) I got 3-4 awful absesses at the infusion site(s). Endo said we
needed to try Velosulin which was a pure pork insulin. It worked. Many
people were being switched to it - then Nordisk probably realized its value
and added the buffering. Now it is synthetic like the others.  A Nordisk rep
told me they had two types of insulin - Velosulin (for velocity = speed) and
Insulitard (sp) (slow = like NPH). I have a Velosulin vial that is tall and
skinny about the size of 3/4 of an index finger - before buffering, and the
newer squatty one that is still pork for my BASH memoribilia display. I have
used Humalog since 12/96.
Jan (61 y/o, T-1 11/5/50, pmpg 8/23/83) & Bluda Sue (MM507C, 3/99)  webpage