[IP] Double-Checking #'s (was:Freestyle Meter-BGs lower)

> Now that is a super frightening thing!  We had been using a Dex for
> weeks and just returned to the Accu Check (had to wait until ins. would
> new strips). Yesterday evening Cory played longer than normal on the
> trampoline and even though I had cut his dinner H by 1 unit and he had
> the activity with a reading around 240 - he began to complain of not
> well and not able to walk.  I managed to get him into the house, get him
> checked and began treatment.  His meter read 45.  His b/s didn't respond
> well right away so eventually he ended up with a 400!  At bedtime I gave
> 1 unit of H to bring that down to a safer zone and lowered his NPH by 1/2
> unit because he seems to always go low during the night.  At 1 am he was
> so figured that should hold him until morning.  I did intend to recheck at
> am but slept through it.  At 5 am he was 45 and very incoherent with
> eyes.  It was alarming

Did you double-check any/all of the numbers that were way out of range?
Until I started pumping & read someone else's account on an experience on
this list, I had never really considered that there might be a need to.  In
some instances, if your strip doesn't get as much blood as it would like
(greedy little vampires they can be), it will give you a false low
reading...or if your fingers have a residue from earlier food or anything
sweet on them, it can result in a false high reading.  The problem I ran
into with this was that in treating the false reading, under the assumption
that it was correct, I threw myself way out into the other end of the
spectrum.  The other night I got to see one of those examples of that kind
of a situation...I went low, 45, due to an overbolus.  Corrected by drinking
a glass of milk & eating a few cookies - checked 15 minutes later, & got a
reading of 31!  Logic prevailed here, so instead of eating ALL the cookies
in the house (tempting though that may have seemed at the time), I did
another check immediately...which told me I was at 95.  The 31 strip, I
noticed upon looking closely, was much lighter in color & hadn't gotten
enough blood.

Also, many of us when confronted with the sensations that come with an
extreme low, once we begin the process of eating something to combat that,
are driven to overcompensate, consumption-wise.  Even as your body is taking
in the carbos it needs to help bring the low back into range, your impulses
are still under control of the low effect, which can demand more food to
compensate than is actually needed...giving you, as a result, a high to
chase shortly thereafter.  Then there's the whole issue of the liver being
so helpful as to respond by dumping a hefty load of glucagon into the mix!!

Anyway, the point here is, I guess (I usually travel the longest road to
reach it!), that there are no easy answers...what causes an extreme high or
low one night may not be the culprit at all the next.  The best we can do is
work to be very well-informed (THANK YOU, IP LIST!!!) & work through the
trials & errors as best we can, until hopefully enough of a pattern emerges
that we can figure out what will best work for each of us.  I just wanted to
make sure you knew that double-checking the #'s that seem way out there is
sometimes a good idea.

Best of luck with finding the nights ahead more peaceful!