Re: [IP] 300 units of insulin lasting in resevoirs

<original post.>
<Where  did  you hear that you could go 6 day? I have always been told 3
days. Insulin will lose its potency after a while and if exposed to heat
ect.  Besides injection sites will soon cause problems with absorbtion
and bs will beginto rise .

Hi Steve,

Many of us have found that we can go 8-10 days using the same reservoir
(filling it with the maximum 300 units).

Your post is assuming that we are changing our sites at the same time as
the reservoirs, but many of us are not (I argued earlier that MM wants
us all to think we must change them both at the same time, because it
increases the amount of supplies we use!). So the site issue should be
treated separately from the reservoir (and I agree that sites can't last
10 days!...but for many of us, they can last more than 3. My average on
sils is 5-6 days).

Yes, insulin loses its potency "after a while," but I highly doubt it is
after 3 days even when we are outside in the sun most of the time.
Frankly, if you work in air-conditioned buildings and are only out in
the heat a small portion of the day, I suspect insulin will last nearly
a month! (I say this because I never refrigerated my humolog bottles
when on MDI, and they lasted quite a while...). I think humalog will
easily last 8-10 days unless a good portion of that time is spent in
lots of heat. Currently I'm on day 9, and my blood sugar right now is
90...no degradation for me.

I'm not advocating that anyone does anything foolish or risky, but let's
face it, the "change everything in 3 days" approach is certainly "safe"
but also wasteful if it isn't necessary. A little experimentation with
the reservoir and your own body/climate will easily show if it will work
for you (do your blood sugars go up slightly at the end of the insulin
cycle, or do they stay the same?)--but if it does work, it means 1) less
expense in supplies (and helps the environment, too!), and 2) less
hassle for us (changing the reservoir only half or a third as often).

And, may I add, how many of us reuse our lancets? (George???) Yet
officially we're told to use them only once (an RN who works with me
absolutely shuttered when I told her that I reused lancets, despite the
fact that in 20 years of blood sugar testing (around 50,000 tests!),
I've NEVER had a finger infection because of a reused lancet.  A little
common sense sometimes goes a long way.... (and no, George, I change
lancets every few weeks, NOT twice a year...sorry, but there's a limit
to my frugality!).