Re: Back in my day, was: Re: [IP] Time To Change!!!

At 09:37 AM 07/04/00 Bob Burnett wrote:
 >Sam reminisced:
 >>Well, back in my day... we used lancets until the tip became totally flat.
 >>We used to buy them one at a time and we were glad to get them. If we
 >>couldn't get them at the store, we used to make our own by grinding down
 >>slivers of tin cans with a file. :-)
 >Ahhh ... the good ole' days. We used to make our own lancets just like
 >this, often after walking 10 miles to school - through 3 feet of snow -
 >barefoot. We'd stop at Farmer Jones' place on the way home, visit the hog
 >pen and cook up a batch of insulin. Yup - those were the days, all righty

And don't forget the way we used to inject that old-fashioned insulin. We
used Turkey basters to inject it, after opening up a wee hole with a
pocket-knife. And sanitation?? Hah! Didn't use any. And testing was a bit
crude... we kept an ant-farm on the back of the potty. You'd drop a bit in
and if the ants started acting hyper then you knew that you were over the

(who's been around the block a few times)