[IP] Re: Meter Accuracy

In theory I agree with Jan when she said:

> This is why *I* think it is unwise for someone to *correct* a 126 or even
> 140. What if the meter they are relying on is actually 25-35 pts. higher
> than actual? If that is the case, they would be correcting a 100 to a
> possible 75. Not good. Don't most people have a range to strive for rather
> than an impossible flatline 100?
> Jan (61 y/o, T-1 11/5/50, pmpg 8/23/83) & Bluda Sue (MM507C, 3/99)
> http://maxpages.com/bludasue

But in practice I will correct a bG of 140 mg/dl and cross my fingers.  In
1992, a consensus statement of the ADA recognized the intended and actual
use of SMBG and called for meters with an analytical accuracy of 5% and a
total accuracy (analytical plus user) of 10% because type 1s adjust insulin
dose based on current, accurate meter results.  Eight years later we are
still using meters with analytical accuracy of 20% even though I believe the
technology allows for better.  As long as manufacturers feel that small
blood-sampling size, rather than accuracy, is what drives the selection of
meters we will have to put up with mediocre meters.  I, for one, would opt
for an accurate meter regardless of the required blood-drop size.

John Kinsley
email @ redacted
Type 1 since 1956
MM 507 since 6/9/98